New Leader Assimilation Facilitation
What it is.
- For new or newly promoted executives
- Conducted in the first 120-days (generally within the first few weeks)
- Gathers perspectives quickly
- Designed to have the staff learn about the new leader, and the new leader learn about the staff and key organizational issues in just half a day.
- Supplements the one-on-one and departmental meetings the new executive will hold with staff
- Developed at General Electric
- Widely used at both for-profits and non-profits
How it works
- The facilitator meets with the senior staff to gather their perspectives and concerns about the new leader including:
- What they want most from the new leader
- What they want the new leader to know about them
- The obstacles and challenges
- Facilitation questions are distributed in advance of the session.
- Information from the discussion is aggregated and shared with the new leader while ensuring that there is no attribution of who said what.
- The facilitator helps the new leader prepare his responses and attends the session when the new leader:
- Addresses the staff’s perspectives and concerns
- Talks about his expectations and his operating style